All seeking certification may apply to the Virginia Building Code Academy if in compliance with the standards for certification, VCS and/or the USBC, including completion of all courses and examination requirements as defined by the Virginia Certification Requirements for Code Officials. The code enforcement personnel of a local jurisdiction must complete all requirements and submit an application for certification within the time frames specified in the USBC. The Virginia Certification Requirements for Code Officials, course information and application forms are available on the VBCA Online Registration System. All applications are processed within five business days of receipt, and certifications are issued within five days of processing.
Once certified, all certificate holders must meet requirements for periodic maintenance and continuing education. Certificate holders attend periodic maintenance training as designated by DHCD, as well as attend 16 hours of continuing education every two years as approved by DHCD.
- Establish user profile on the VBCA Online Registration System.
- Register and attend VBCA prerequisite core class.
- Register and attend VBCA classes as indicated on Virginia Certification Requirements for Code Officials.
- Achieve passing score(s) on required exam(s) through selected exam provider, as indicated on Virginia Certification Requirements for Code Officials.
- Submit completed application either online, via email, U.S. mail or fax to the Virginia Building Code Academy within 12 months of hire date for officials or within 18 months of hire date for technical assistants.
- Following certification issuance meet periodic training and continuing education requirements.