|Jack A. Proctor Virginia Building Code Academy
The state certification is a mandated program for all local governmental code enforcement personnel and independent third-party inspection agents who, per Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC) and Virginia Certification Standards (VCS), are required to obtain certification to ensure consistent and technically accurate code interpretation and application. The program, administered by DHCD on behalf of the Board of Housing and Community Development (BHCD), consists of two separate components, training and examination, with training delivered by the Jack A. Proctor Virginia Building Code Academy (JPVBA) and examinations administered by various nationally-recognized code testing organizations.
All persons seeking certification may apply to the Training and Certification Unit if in compliance with the standards for certification, VCS and/or the VUSBC, including completion of all courses and examination requirements as defined by the Training and Certification Matrix. The code enforcement personnel of a local jurisdiction must complete all requirements and submit an application for certification within the time frames specified in the VUSBC. The Training and Certification Matrix, course information and application forms are available on the TASO online system. All applications are processed within five business days of receipt, and certifications are issued within five days of processing.
Once certified, all certificate holders will meet requirements for periodic maintenance and continuing education. Certificate holders attend periodic maintenance training as designated by DHCD, as well as attend 16 hours of continuing education every two years as approved by DHCD.
- Establish user profile on the TASO online Registration System
- Register and successfully sit for required exam(s) through selected exam provider as indicated on Training and Certification Matrix.
- Register and attend JPVBCA prerequisite CORE class
- Register and attend JPVBCA classes as indicated on Training and Certification Matrix
- Within specified time period (12 months for official and 18 months for technical assistant), submit completed paper application via email, U.S. mail or fax to Training and Certification Unit
- Following certification issuance meet periodic training and continuing education requirement s