Homeowner Assistance

DHCD has several programs that can help a homeowner. Below is a list of programs that may meet your needs.

Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)

Funding through the Virginia Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) may be used by eligible units of local government to improve low- to moderate-occupied housing units. Assistance is targeted for a defined cluster of housing, not scattered site.

Emergency Home and Accessibility Repair Program (EHARP)

EHARP provides funds to remove urgent, emergency health and safety hazards, and it also addresses physical accessibility barriers for low-income Virginians.

Indoor Plumbing and Repair (IPR)

 The Indoor Plumbing Rehabilitation (IPR) program provides funding for the installation of indoor plumbing to owners of substandard housing where indoor plumbing does not exist, or where the existing water delivery or waste disposal systems have failed.

Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP)

Already a homeowner but experiencing financial problems?  Have concerns about your mortgage?

Weatherization Assistance

The Weatherization Assistance program provides funds to install measures that reduce residential heating and cooling costs for low-income families and enhance the health and safety of residents. 


The Rural Homeowner Rehabilitation Program provides federal HOME funding to eligible sub-recipient organizations to administer local owner-occupied housing rehabilitation programs targeted to low- and moderate-income homeowners in non-entitlement areas of the commonwealth.