The mission of the Homeless and Special Needs Housing unit (HSNH) is to ensure homelessness is rare, brief, and non-recurring. To that end, HSNH administers a continuum of state- and federally-funded homeless service programs to address housing and stabilization services for individuals and families at-risk of or experiencing homelessness in the commonwealth. HSNH administers three grant programs:
Virginia Homeless Solutions Program
Virginia Homeless Solutions Program (VHSP) funding supports the development and implementation of localized emergency crisis response systems with housing-focused, coordinated community-based activities. These activities are designed to reduce the overall length of homelessness in the community, the number of households becoming homeless, and the overall rate of formerly homeless households returning to homelessness.
Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS
The Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) program is HUD funding dedicated to the housing needs of people living with HIV/AIDS. DHCD administers the program by granting funds to nonprofits and local governments to provide housing and services that benefit low-income persons living with HIV/AIDS and their families.
Virginia Housing Trust Fund Homeless Reduction Grant
The goal of the Virginia Housing Trust Fund Homeless Reduction Grant (HTF) is to reduce homelessness in the Commonwealth of Virginia. See the Housing Trust Fund Homeless Reduction Grant page for additional details.
Eligible applicants include units of local governments, nonprofits, planning district commissions (PDCs)* and public housing authorities (PHAs)*. Eligible activities for the VHSP are outreach, emergency shelter operations, rapid re-housing, targeted prevention, centralized/coordinated assessment systems, CoC planning, HMIS, administration and HOPWA assistance.
*Able to contract for all eligible VHSP activities excluding emergency shelter operations and rapid re-housing.
- If you are homeless, fleeing domestic violence, or in need of shelter, click here for assistance.
- HSNH Guidelines
- Crisis Assistance Directory
- Crisis Assistance Directory Map
- HOPWA Service Providers Map
- Implementation Sessions Webinar
- Homeless Certification Form
- Prevention Program Participant Eligibility
- Rapid Re-Housing Program Participant Eligibility
- Income Re-Certification Form
- Basic Habitability Checklist
- Lead-Based Paint Visual Assessment Form
- Current Fair Market Rents
- Rent Reasonableness Checklist
- Environmental Review Instruction Form
- Environmental Review Pre-Populated Form
- Environmental Review Check Form
- VHSP Request for Reimbursement
- HOPWA Reimbursement Form