The Commonwealth of Virginia, through the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) and the City of Norfolk, was awarded a $112 million grant for the Ohio Creek Watershed Project, located in the City of Norfolk, Virginia.
The project was selected by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) through the National Disaster Resilience Competition (NDRC) process and was awarded Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) funding.
This project is part of Norfolk’s resilience strategy and supports its three goals: designing a coastal community capable of dealing with the increased risk of flooding, creating economic opportunity by advancing efforts to grow existing and new industry sectors, and advancing initiatives to connect communities, deconcentrate poverty, and strengthen neighborhoods. The design team, with input from multiple planning charrettes, work sessions and public meetings, has identified the following key project elements: coastal defense, tidal shorelines, stormwater management, transportation infrastructure, and landscape and community amenities.
Notice of Availability of Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the NDRC Ohio Creek Watershed Project in Norfolk, Virginia.
Early Notice and Public Review of Proposed Activity in a 100-Year Floodplain and Wetland
A Notice of Intent (NOI) to prepare a Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Ohio Creek Watershed Project was published in the Federal Register on December 18, 2017:
- Federal Register - Notice of Intent to Prepare Environmental Impact Statement
- Federal Register NOI 2017
community/public meeting materials
A public meeting was held at the Grandy Village Learning Center, located at 2971 Kimball Loop Norfolk, VA 23504, on February 21, 2018. The project information made available during the public meeting is also available at the links below.
Paper copies of the FEIS will be available for review at the following locations during regular business hours:
- Norfolk Office of Resilience: 501 Boush St. Norfolk, VA 23510
- DHCD: 600 East Main St., Suite 300 Richmond, VA 23219
- Grandy Village Property Management Office: 3151 Kimball Terrace Norfolk, VA 23504
- Slover Library: 235 E. Plume St. Norfolk, VA 23510
- Janaf Branch: 124 Janaf Shopping Center Norfolk, VA 23502
- Jordan-Newby Anchor Branch at Broad Creek: 1425 Norchester Ave Norfolk, VA 23502
- Horace C. Downing Branch: 555 E. Liberty St. Norfolk, VA 23504